Educational and Professional Background
Prior to his a faculty role, Dr. Campbell provided outpatient counseling services to adults, adolescents, and children in mental health and substance abuse programs and was involved in HIV testing and counseling.
- Ph.D. in Counselor Education and Supervision (2014) Southern Illinois University (CACREP)
- M.S. Ed. in Community/Agency Counseling (2007) Western Illinois University (CACREP)
- B.S. in Parks and Recreation (2001) Western Illinois University
- EDUC G 500: Orientation to Counseling
- EDUC G 506: Personality Development and Diagnosis
- EDUC G 514: Practicum in Alcohol and Drug Counseling
- EDUC G 522: Counseling Theories/Techniques
- EDUC G 525: Advanced Counseling Practicum
- EDUC G 550: Internship in Counseling
- EDUC G 563: Foundations of Mental Health Counseling
- EDUC G 575: Cross Cultural Counseling
- EDUC G 585: Contemporary Issues in Counseling
- EDUC G 596: Counseling Supervision
- EDUC P 514: Life Span Development
Publications and In-Process Scholarship
Boccone, P. J., & Campbell, J. A. (2015, October). Challenges to international ethics of counseling practice. The Global Center for School Counseling Outcome Research Evaluation & Development Chronicle.
Krouse, A., & Campbell, J. A. (2015, May). Counseling third culture kids. SouthernAssociation for Counselor Education and Supervision Newsletter, 10(4), 4.
Pietrantoni, Z., & Campbell, J. A. (2014, September). Career theory and procedures: An online teaching approach. Career Convergence Magazine.
Campbell, J. A. (in press). Clinical practice. In J. Carlson, & S. Dermer (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Marriage, Family, and Couples Counseling (pp. xxx-xxx). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Linton, J. M., Campbell, J. A., & Gressick, J. (in review). What’s in a word? Assessing lay persons’ definitions and interpretations of commonly used terms on alcohol and drug treatment.
Peer Reviewed Conference Presentations Highlights
Gressick, J., & Campbell, J. A. (2015, November). Play therapy and games: Increasing techniques and skills with clients and supervisees. Presentation at the meeting of the Illinois Counseling Association, Skokie, IL.
Campbell, J. A. (2015, October). Sexual orientation counselor competence and related factors among master’s-level counselors-in-training. Presentation at the meeting of the Association for Counselor Education and Supervision, Philadelphia, PA.
Rogalla, K. B., & Campbell, J. A. (2015, March). Counselor racial identity development: Recognizing the impact of white privilege in the therapeutic relationship. Presentation at the meeting of the Indiana Counseling Association, Indianapolis, IN.
Campbell, J. A., & Rogalla, K. B. (2015, March). Counseling LGB clients: LGB related knowledge and affirming attitudes for counselors. Presentation at the meeting of the Indiana Counseling Association, Indianapolis, IN.
Licensure/Certification & Professional Associations
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor, LMHC (IN)
- Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor, LCPC (IL)
- Approved Clinical Supervisor, ACS
- Certified Clinical Mental Health Counselor, CCMHC
- National Certified Counselor, NCC
- Indiana Counseling Association, since 2014
- American Counseling Association, since 2011
- Association for Counselor Education and Supervision, since 2011
- Illinois Counseling Association, since 2011
- North Central Association for Counselor Education and Supervision, since 2010
- Chi Sigma Iota, since 2005