Thank you for choosing Indiana University South Bend’s Counselor Education Programs!
Mission of the Counseling and Human Services Department
Our mission is to prepare knowledgeable, ethical, multi-culturally competent, and reflective school counselors and clinical mental health counselors. Faculty members embody diversity of experience and provide learners with a rigorous exploration of theoretical orientation and evidence-based practices in an environment that promotes personal growth and reflection. Graduates exemplify the learning, skills training, and dispositions that reflect both career-readiness and the highest standards of the counseling profession.
CACREP, as our accrediting body, invites us to share information with the public relating to our Masters of Science Degrees in Education which are Clinical Mental Health Counseling and School Counseling.
Official Counselor Education Report Documents
Student Handbooks and Resources
- Provide a fertile learning and professional development environment for intellectually talented and interpersonally responsive learners representing a diverse and pluralistic society.
- Provide curricular experiences reflecting CACREP preparation standards for learners who will practice professionally in an increasingly multicultural society characterized by rapid social and economic change.
- Develop effective clinicians with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to work in diverse settings.
- Provide quality integrated didactic and clinical instruction.
- Acquaint learners with the technology available through the School of Education for research, training, professional development, and the delivery of services.
- Provide technologically sophisticated tools for the practice of counseling, assessment, and supervisory skills. See UCET Course offerings.
- Identify, evaluate, and select sites, which will provide quality field experiences.
- Include faculty, current and former learners, and personnel in cooperating agencies to regularly evaluate the program, including a review of program curricular objectives.
- Provide learners with the knowledge and counselor dispositions in ethical standards and practice.
- Provide a unique program experience through such features as cohort groups, support groups, close clinical supervision, and professional and networking functions.